Re: rookie question

From: WinterMage <firstp_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 03:43:38 GMT

> SQL is easy. Think of it as speaking english with an eastern European
> accent. I have a lot of Russian friends, and some of them sound like
> SQL. If you're going to go with Oracle, I would pick up a copy of
> Oracle: The Complete Reference. It's a good beginner's book and has a
> lot of easy to find information that I still use infrequently.

I'll pick it up. Actually as well as learning this whole database business, I'm learning VBA (Visual Basic Applications) as well as VB6, which I've been told might be useful. I have used computers for many years (and built and operated them) and learn quick, so I think I can handle all this... interestingly, I've never had to use a database for any reason until now...

> I think as a DBA, you will enjoy Oracle more than some of the others.
> One of the great things about Oracle is that all the data you need to
> run and maintain it is stored in system tables. If you've ever had to
> use MSSQL and all the sp_whatever procedures it has, you will really
> enjoy the flexibility of Oracle.

after reviewing the requirements I have for the database, everyone has said Oracle is the the top choice. I'm definitely going to go that route.

> It really will not take long to start feeling comfortable with Oracle,
> but please let me give you one piece of advice: forget everything you
> think you know about databases-- just start over.

no problem... when you know nothing about a particular subject it makes starting over oh so much easier. =)

> If you're serious about going with Oracle, you may want to see if your
> company would send you out to Denver next month for the International
> Oracle Users Group. That would be a great opportunity to learn a lot
> about Oracle in just a week. They have several classes just for
> beginners. Those and the networking you could do would be a great
> boost. I know it's short notice, but it's something to think about.
> Check it out at www.ioug.org

I'm going to check it out- I'm definitely interested. Thanks for your advice, keep it coming, I need it. <grin>

Sean Knox
firstp_at_nospam.home.com Received on Wed Mar 31 1999 - 21:43:38 CST