Re: build.sql script question

From: Tim Shute <Tshute_at_nospamnisoft.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:59:31 +0100

In article <2E6M2.760$aF3.14092_at_fozzy.nit.gwu.edu>, Sweth Chandramouli <sweth_at_nit.gwu.edu> writes
> i'm using the oracle press oracle 7.3 dba handbook to try
>to write some scripts to build my database, based on the sample
>script they give in appendix a of that book. now that i have
>"scriptified" my normal db creation process, however, i am faced
>with the embarrasing conclusion that i don't know what to do with
>that script. should it be run from sqlplus, or svrmgrl, or where?
>i didn't know that svrmgrl could take @script input, but i didn't
>think that one could 'connect internal' from sqlplus, either.
> tia for any advice.
>
> -- sweth.

Hi Sweth,

It's reasonably simple to do but also very easy to make mistakes! Make sure that you have specified all the correct paths and names for your control files, redo logs etc in this script.

First, I am assuming that you have started the database with the NOMOUNT option. Second, start Server Manager (SVRMGRL, or SVRMGRnn on NT), do a 'connect internal' (this should say 'You are connected to an idle instance' or something similar). Third, at the SVRMGR> prompt do @script. When this has completed, don't forget to run Oracle scripts such as CATALOG.SQL and CATPROC.SQL.

HTH
--
Tim Shute
Software Engineering Manager