Re: NEWBIE needs help on how to start starter db

From: Tim Shute <Tshute_at_nospamnisoft.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:08:34 +0100

In article <zkiM2.2700$fb4.4162_at_news2.giganews.com>, =?iso- 8859-1?q?Richard_N=FA=F1ez?= <boy_afraid_at_geocities.com> writes
>I feel like a complete idiot. I've kind of master MS SQL 6.0+, but for the
>life of me, I cannot even connect to the starter DB that was instaled with
>Oracle 8.0.5.
>
>I start SQL Plus and use "internal" as the username and "oracle" as the
>password and for the host string I enter "oracle", "orcl", "tns:orcl", &
>"@tns:orcl" and almost all of the combinations.
>
>Can someone please wack me on the head and set me straight on how to do
>this. I just want to learn!!!!
>
>I'l going crazy.
>
>P.S. I did a regular install straight from the CD with no problems. I even
>went as far as to install NT 4.0 (SP3, IE 4.01 SP1) on a fresh clean machine
>(233 PPro, 128 RAM, 4 GB HD).

You haven't said what errors you're getting: - invalid username/password or TNS unable to connect.

If it's 1. then try system/manager, sys/change_on_install If it's 2. then set up the SQL*Net alias in SQL*Net Easy Config.

HTH
--
Tim Shute
Software Engineering Manager