Re: Does Oracle support miliseconds?

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:36:31 +0100

Tony wrote in message <7drh37$8k3$1_at_news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
>There is a package call DBMS_UTILITY which returns the time in hundredths
of
>a second, however you have to store it in a seperate number column as the
>DATE datatype only supports times down to seconds.
>
>example:-
>
>SELECT SYS.DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME from DUAL ;

DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME returns the number of 1/100 seconds elapsed since "something". On Windows NT it seems that it's based on the number of 1/1000 (truncated to 1/100) since the Windows NT OS was started. This will "roll over" every approx. 50 days so it's kind of difficult to use.

It's a big shame that milliseconds is not supported. It's not in 8.1 either, we'll have to wait and see what happens with 8.2 (8j?). I can't believe that Oracle is bragging so much about their SQL Server "Converter", how's that possible when they don't support the same datatypes?

I've successfully implemented an Oracle 8.0 datatype TIME that using DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME for current time in 1/100 and an external procedure for current time in 1/1000 seconds, avoiding miscellaneous problems.

Finn Received on Tue Mar 30 1999 - 18:36:31 CST