Re: [NLS_LANG] How can i get german "Umlaute" in Tables

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:23:16 +0000

What's the character set defined in the Database i.e.

select value$ from sys.prop$ where name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

VALUE$

WE8ISO8859P9 If this is US7ASCII then oracle will convert any 8 bit codes to 7 bit codes.

If you have the same character set defined on the client you can get 8 bit codes into the database although this depends on the application. If the client and server character sets are the same then no translation takes place.

However , to be safe, if your character set is US7ASCII I recommend you change this to a suitable 8 bit character set.

This can be done by updating the value shown in the above select statement.

Make sure you backup your database first just in case it all goes wrong.