[NLS_LANG] How can i get german "Umlaute" in Tables

From: Sven Kuehne <kuehne_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:47:04 +0200

Hello *

I am trying to get some german "umlaute" like "öäüÖÄÜ" and "ß" into a Oracle-Table. I set the enviroment-variable NLS_LANG to:

~> export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8PC850

an then started sqlplus. I created a little table an inserted the chars:

SQL> create Table T (
  2 X varchar(10)
  3 );
Table created.
SQL> insert into T values ( 'äöüÜÖÄß' ); 1 row created.
SQL> select * from T;

äöü?Ö??

So not all "umlaute" have made it. Three have been converted to "?". What can i do? Is it a problem with the installation? And how can i check this?

Sven - trying to shepherd his umlauts

P.S. I hope the umlauts have made it to you (kuehne_at_ifgi.uni-muenster.de) Received on Tue Mar 30 1999 - 04:47:04 CST