Re: rookie question

From: WinterMage <firstp_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:51:29 GMT

dean.reynolds_at_home.net wrote:

> I'm not sure which of these will run under a MAC OS, but I guess you
> do (of course you could always run something like NT on your database
> server). File Maker Pro is very easy to use, but not very powerful,
> especially in a multiuser environment. Oracle is probably the most
> powerful, but requires a lot of attention. SQL Server (6.5 and 7) is
> the easiest RDBMS to use. It's pretty powerful (until you need a real
> power database)but it's greatest selling point is its ease of use.
> You don't even need a fulltime DBA for it. Many people just pull
> double duty.

yeah, right off the bat I noticed it's [FileMaker Pro] ease of use, but countless people have told me it lacks flexibility and strength.

> If you are going to have less than 50 concurrent users, and you have a
> tech that will function as your DBA, I'd look at SQL Server. Sybase
> has some good products as well, but I'd stick to one of these three.
>
> My first choice is Oracle, but I admit that sometimes it's overkill
> for small installations. Unless you're going to web-enable your
> database or use e-commerce in which case I would point you to Oracle
> 8i. MS SQL Server can be good for this too, but you have to buy a lot
> of Microsoft software and keep buying and buying and buying...

this is going to be a rather large site, I would imagine 100+ concurrent users, with me being the DBA-in-training. Oracle looks like the route to go, as suggested by you and others. And perhaps I will start studying SQL as well.

Thanks for you advice, keep it coming <grin>

Sean Knox
firstp_at_home.com Received on Tue Mar 30 1999 - 04:51:29 CST