Stored procedures returning data?

From: Bjørn Augestad <boa_at_orion.no>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:36:10 +0200

Hi, all.

I'm currently porting an application from MS SQL Server to Oracle 8.0.4. The app has a lot of stored procedures, and many of them return data.

Example:
create procedure GetBarFromFoobar as
begin

    select bar from foobar
end

SQL Server will return data just as if you wrote the SELECT yourself. The good thing about this is that an enduser easily can retrieve data from e.g. ISQL, ISQL_W, Excel or any other tool capable of accessing an SQL Server db.

The main client program is written in C/C++, and uses ODBC to access the server. I've RTFM and searched altavista, but cannot find any description of how to do this using Oracle. Does an enduser have to declare refcursors and manually print the results (using SQLPlus), or is there an easier way?

TIA.
Bjørn Augestad Received on Tue Mar 30 1999 - 04:36:10 CST