need suggestion on handling large text fields

From: Joe <joelau_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:03:48 GMT

I need to write SQL statments that handles large text fields (no more than 32k). I have such fields in Sybase and need to have the same type of support in oracle.

In sybase there is a text field that does this. I am not sure what the equivalent is in Oracle. I have tried using CLOB. However, with CLOBS, I can't seem to do a select clob_column. I get an error when I try to do this.

I am assuming that CLOBs have the same characteristics as BLOBs which I know cannot be viewed with a simple select *.

Unfortunately, I am using existing applications which does select * and this code cannot change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Received on Tue Mar 30 1999 - 01:03:48 CST