Re: rookie question

From: Steven Franklin <steven.franklin_at_mci.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:30:12 GMT

WinterMage wrote:

> I'm a <gasp> PC user, and am just getting started in the wonderful world
> of databases. Yet at my work, the systems are macs, and I am going to be
> in charge of the database <grin>, and I need some advice as to which
> product I should try (and learn!)... So far, the considerations Oracle
> 8, File Maker Pro (currently using this actually, we're looking for
> something better), and SQL. Can I get suggestions, recommendations, or
> just general advice about the pros and cons of the different databases?
> I need some kind of starting point, as I am swamped in choices at the
> book store <grin> ... any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
>
> Sean Knox
> firstp_at_home.com

First, SQL is a language not an implementation. SQL is used by Oracle, Sybase, Access, Informix, etc. SQL is the standard(mostly) language of RDBMS's. As to which database to use depends upon your needs and your budget. If in doubt, Oracle is a good choice. But depending on your needs, a cheaper alternative may be sufficient. You can't go wrong studying SQL, what you learn will apply to whatever RDBMS solution you ultimately choose. Received on Mon Mar 29 1999 - 14:30:12 CST