Re: rookie question

From: <dean.reynolds_at_home.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:00:50 GMT

I'm not sure which of these will run under a MAC OS, but I guess you do (of course you could always run something like NT on your database server). File Maker Pro is very easy to use, but not very powerful, especially in a multiuser environment. Oracle is probably the most powerful, but requires a lot of attention. SQL Server (6.5 and 7) is the easiest RDBMS to use. It's pretty powerful (until you need a real power database)but it's greatest selling point is its ease of use. You don't even need a fulltime DBA for it. Many people just pull double duty.

If you are going to have less than 50 concurrent users, and you have a tech that will function as your DBA, I'd look at SQL Server. Sybase has some good products as well, but I'd stick to one of these three.

My first choice is Oracle, but I admit that sometimes it's overkill for small installations. Unless you're going to web-enable your database or use e-commerce in which case I would point you to Oracle 8i. MS SQL Server can be good for this too, but you have to buy a lot of Microsoft software and keep buying and buying and buying...

-Dean