Re: Oracle5!

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:39:40 GMT

If it worked on VAX, it should work on NT. THe key is the transfer of the file. When I went from DOS-VAX-AIX in my dinosaur hunting days, I ftp'd the files in binary mode. The header of the import file specifies the language set and will probably make the appropriate adjustments. Just make sure it is a binary transfer or nfs type mount.

The other factor is that you may not have to do the indexfile steps if you set the user/owner up with a default tablespace with appropriate tablespace level defaults for storage. The import will place the tables and indexes in the owner's default tablespace if the DDL doesn't specify.

The indexfile step is a good idea. You may, depending on size, disk space, yadayadayada, want to move the indexes to a different tablespace and getting the DDL to redefine them from the indexfile an easy way to do it.

In article <7dequ5$lbb$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <fYv5WCAxyh+2IArs_at_nisoft.demon.co.uk>,
> Tim Shute <Tshute_at_nospamnisoft.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hello group,
> >
> > Does anyone have an opinion on the likely success of exporting data from
> > and Oracle 5 system, running on a DOS-based PC and importing it into
> > 7.3.4 or 8.0.4? Usual story - customer has an old system running quietly
> > on a PC in the corner which they suddenly realise is not Y2K compatible.
> >
> > Any relevant thoughts welcome.
> > --
> > Tim Shute
> > Software Engineering Manager
> >
> > NiSoft (UK) Limited
> > Internet: www.nisoft.co.uk
> >
> Oracle 5.1.22 with SQLPME on MS-DOS? That brings back some nice memories when
> the world was much, much younger then today. Anyway, I tried it on VAX-VMS
> and it worked. Oracle 5 was running on VAX-VMS 4.7 (does anyone still
> remember the NULL proces? Non-modular executive and good, old mVAX 3600?)
> and Oracle 7.3.4 was running on an Aplha machine with OpenVMS 6.x. Import
> was done without any problems. Version 5, of course, didn't have tablespaces
> (although it did have so-called partitions which were pratically useless),
> so you must run it with indexfile=xxx.sql option first, then edit the SQL
> and put in place proper storage options, pre-create it and then import
> with ignore=yes. I thought that nobody was using version 5 since the
> dinosaurs were ruling the Earth? I don't know about DOS and NT either. You
> might run into character set problems (on the good, old VMS, it was all 7
> bit ASCII).
> May the force be with you,
> Mladen Gogala

Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP