Re: Oracle5!

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:20:33 GMT

Tim Shute <Tshute_at_nospamnisoft.co.uk> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

>Does anyone have an opinion on the likely success of exporting data from
>and Oracle 5 system, running on a DOS-based PC and importing it into
>7.3.4 or 8.0.4? Usual story - customer has an old system running quietly
>on a PC in the corner which they suddenly realise is not Y2K compatible.

I upgraded a system from 5 on DOS to 8.0.5 on linux.

8.0.5 read it in fluently, exception that finnish special characters were ?'s in 8. (Different character sets)

I circumvented this problem by importing the export file first into 7.1 on NT and from there it was easy to transfer data to 8 with database link.

Time-consuming task, though.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.