Oracle App Server 3.0 is very slow

From: <keith_at_digination.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:40:08 GMT

Hi,
  I've been using the Oracle Application server for about the past 1.5 years. Mostly via the pl/sql cartridge. It's a very nice tool, especially if you already have pl/sql expertise. However, the performance of OAS/plsql cartridge is pretty miserable. I currently have oracle 8.0.5 on Linux with OAS 3.0. System is a 450MHZ pentium with 128M of RAM. The only thing running on this machine is oracle and the APP server. When I access any stored procedure via the APP server and PL/SQL cartridge I get a very noticable delay before the generated page displays. I've noticed the same on a Sun Ultra-1 with 128 Meg of RAM. I am now in the position of defending my selection of OAS for web applications against ASP, Cold Fusion or LiveWire advocates. All claim to be able to provide better performance on similar hardware. I believe that perl and mysql would even perform better. Does anyone know what I might do to increase the performance of the PL/SQL cartridge and OAS? I already have min # of instances set to 5 and Max=30. Are there other parameters that can be modified to help performance. Is "buy a better box" the only way to get better performance out of these tools?

-Keith Alston

keith_at_digination.com

http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own Received on Thu Mar 25 1999 - 10:40:08 CST