Re: Relational Algebra Operators

From: Paul Wagner <wagner_at_cs.umn.edu>
Date: 25 Mar 1999 02:32:03 GMT

Oracle does support all of these relational algebra (R.A.) operations in one way or another. The Oracle SQL SELECT statement can do many things

(including R.A. select) - it can filter rows (R.A. select), filter columns
(R.A. project), or combine information from multiple relational tables
(R.A. product if done combining all rows from the first table with all
rows from the second tablein, R.A. join if combining rows according to a meaningful join condition. Oracle has INTERSECT, UNION, and MINUS operators which support R.A. intersect, union and difference, respectively. R.A. Divide is not present as its own operator, but can be implemented as a series of R.A. operations including minus, project, and times/product.

Paul

--

* Paul J. Wagner                School   - wagner_at_cs.umn.edu               *