Re: Access and Oracle

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:05:03 GMT

In article <oLQJ2.7649$R92.4346_at_news20.bellglobal.com>,   "Firestarter" <cheryl.jeff_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Being somewhat new to both these databases I'd thought I'd ask some experts.

[snip]

> These are some the questions:
>
> 1) What's the easiest way to retrieve and input the incoming Oracle
> information. The smaller business is not
> connected to the Internet 24/7.

ORACLE has SQL*Loader for putting data into the database from a file (usually text format). I'm sure Access has similar feature. You may have to use VB to automate it, but it is essentially similar.

> 2) Not sure on the scale or amount of information that will be incoming,
> should Access or Oracle be used?
> Based on the incoming file information I would think Oracle.

Access seems okay for data volumes on the order of a few megabytes. It is just a personal database afterall. You can get Personal Oracle for the small business and have consistancy of tools at both sites.

> 3) How user friendly is Oracle?

Define user friendly. 8^)

seriously, you might just use VB to build the client front end with oracle as the back end. THe user sees the windows and buttons of your application. Or is the small business you connect to going to develop their own frontend. Again Visual BASIC should be okay and make their developer comfortable.

Oracle has SQL PLUS as a command line style of front end. THere are other GUI tools as front ends to the Oracle DB. You can code in C and still use SQL via Pro C for oracle.

> 4) Can the existing Access information be easily converted to Oracle?

Export it in some form of text file and you could just use SQL*Loader. No big deal.

> Some of these question may seem basic because I haven't done a lot of
> research yet. The main purpose is to have something that is easily scalable
> and relatively inexpensive.
>
> If you wish to email me in private you can reach me at
> cheryl.jeff_at_sympatico.ca
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff
> Toronto, ON, Canada

Good luck, Jeff.
keep in touch with your progress. Overall Oracle is much more robust and capable of heavy loads and volumes. Access is a personal DB, so it is easier to use, but groans when asked to lift heavy loads.

have fun.

   ed

Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.