problem with the number 1,000,000?

From: Rob Diaz <rdiaz_at_helmsmangroup.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:57:09 -0500

Hi. I have an application that is written in Access and stores its data in Oracle. This application has been running successfully for quite some time.

Now, I use ODBC to connect to Oracle. We've come across a glitch (perhaps a bug?) and I do not know how to correct it.

The client has inserted a value of 1,000,000 into a numeric field (double). If I go to SQL* and look up the value, it comes back as 1,000,000. However, if I look at it in Access, via ODBC, I get 1.8* 10^302 as the value. This, of course, crashes my system. Now, I've done some testing. I insert 1,000,001 and everything works fine. I insert 999,999.99 and everything is fine. I insert 1,000,000.01 and everything is fine. It only fails, and ALWAYS fails, when I enter 1,000,000. I even tried 1,000,000,000, and it worked.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the number 1 million in Oracle's ODBC driver? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--Rob Received on Wed Mar 24 1999 - 06:57:09 CST