Access and Oracle

From: Firestarter <cheryl.jeff_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:07:16 GMT

Being somewhat new to both these databases I'd thought I'd ask some experts.

Here's the situation:

Information is coming from one business source via FTP/email (not sure yet) that is using Oracle Powerbuilder to another smaller business that is using WinNT and Microsoft Access (after reading some of the posts I'm thinking that Access might be a bad idea; should use Oracle?) The information that is sent will then be put into the database that can be accessed from the home business (or web; an option?) and printed for legal purposes.

These are some the questions:

  1. What's the easiest way to retrieve and input the incoming Oracle information. The smaller business is not connected to the Internet 24/7.
  2. Not sure on the scale or amount of information that will be incoming, should Access or Oracle be used? Based on the incoming file information I would think Oracle.
  3. How user friendly is Oracle?
  4. Can the existing Access information be easily converted to Oracle?

Some of these question may seem basic because I haven't done a lot of research yet. The main purpose is to have something that is easily scalable and relatively inexpensive.

If you wish to email me in private you can reach me at cheryl.jeff_at_sympatico.ca

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Toronto, ON, Canada Received on Tue Mar 23 1999 - 12:07:16 CST