Re: Too many records returned through the internet

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:25:42 GMT

In article <7d5n8u$mh1$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   kacerl_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know the acceptable limit of records that can be returned to a
> Client through the internet? On our system, a client has the potential to run
> an order by query on a table which contains 1.3 million records. There is a
> serious performance problem in doing this and our DBA often ends up having to
> kill the process.
>
> The only solution that I can think of is to require the user to provide more
> detail in their query to limit the result set. The owner of the application
> doesn't want to limit the user and compares several mainframe applications
> that run DB2 & ADABASE, which don't seem to have this problem.
>
> Our internet apps. have an HTML front-end and are currently using Oracle
> 7.3.3.4.0 for the back-end. Any advice/direction would be greatly
> appreciated...
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Fact: your DB2 and ADABASE backends return the data in acceptable amounts of time.
Assumptions: This the same or similar data in volumes comparable to the Oracle instance.
Observation: the volume of data is not the problem (ie, network bandwidth can handle the volume).

Fact: the Oracle process continues to run for a long time gathering the data. Assumption: you haven't tried running the queries locally (from SQLPLUS), but if you did, the query still took an extremely long time.

Conclusion: Your Oracle Database is not tuned to the kinds of queries performed by your users.

From the information you gave, it's not too many records. Try getting some examples of what they are doing and run EXPLAIN PLAN on them. Look for potential indices that you can create to speed those queries along.

If DB2 can pump the megabytes trhu the net, then Oracle can too.

Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.
ORACLE services
440-498-3702