Oracle 8 cant create objects???

From: Rob Edgar <robedgar_at_hkstar.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:27:30 +0800

We upgraded from 7.3 to 8 recently and I thought it was about time I looked at Objects since this is supposed to be one of the new cool features so I tried the following

CREATE TYPE address_t AS OBJECT (
  street VARCHAR2(200),
  city VARCHAR2(200),
  state CHAR(2),
  zip VARCHAR2(20)
  ) ;

Which was an example I found in the docs, but it throws an exception "Feature no enabled: objects" . After reading through all the docs I found one note that says "Objects are only supported for the Enterprise Edition with the Objects option" !!!!!!!

Is this really true ? Does this mean that plain Oracle 8 cannot support Objects, if this is true it just seem ridiculous that Oracle tout the features of a product and then hide the fact that the features they publicise most are not avalable in this version.

Makes me wonder what part of 8i's features will in reality turn out to be unavailble to me and many like me who just by the standard product. Oracle should conside having two different version number for these product to make clear to everyone that one has a compleltley different feature set.....

Rob Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 23:27:30 CST