Re: Two transactions on diferent levels

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:00:20 GMT

In article <7cmchd$jvg$1_at_diana.bcn.ttd.net>,   "David Bosch Geli" <david_at_elpunt.com> wrote:
> I am programing with pl/sql in Developer/2000 Form Builder.
>
> I have a question: While the form is running and the user is doing his job,
> I want to insert a line in a table and commit this line without committing
> the job done by the user.
>
> By now, if a put a statement in a procedure with the instruction commit,
> what it does is commit all the posted records that the user has done and all
> the unsaved work.
>
> Is it possible to start a new transaction, commit it and then return to the
> transaction of the user?
>
> Thank you.
>
> My e-mail is david_at_elpunt.com

Commit is a global event and cannot be divided into subunits. The basic attributes of transaction transaction in an RDBMS (if it wants to be R = relational) are known as ACID = Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability. Atomicity means that it either succeeds or fails as a unit. No subtransactions, no subdivisions. You can always start another transaction in another session, that is perfectly legal, but you cannot have two transactions active in the same session. Commit in Oracle a) increases SCN b) writes commit record to the active redo log file. As these are both global resources, not local one to the session, so commit is a global event too.
Regards,
Mladen Gogala