Compiling packages and Oracle Forms

From: Mark S. Reichman <reichmanm_at_rl.af.mil.>
Date: 16 Mar 99 21:33:59 GMT

First,

I started removing alot of my code out of the forms triggers and am placing the code in database packages and then calling the functions/procedures in the forms. Problem is, every once in awhile and not everytime, I edit and recompile the database package(s) some of the Forms that reference them break and I must recompile them also. The forms are checking the creation dates on the functions somehow. I have even observed forms breaking on functions that havent even been edited, only recompiled. As long as the function still exists in the database package under the same name/paramaters after recompilation, I really dont want the forms to complain. I want the forms to go ahead and use the function. What can I do or what am I not doing? If I have to recompile all my forms everytime I recompile a package in the database it is going to be a problem. I find it hard to believe this is so...

Secondly, are there any tricks to speeding up the compilation of PLSQL packages, like increasing some system variable or using some SQL set command. I have some packages that take quite some time for their relatively small size. Received on Tue Mar 16 1999 - 15:33:59 CST