Re: Reports 2.5 - Creating a delimited flat file

From: Mark Gumbs <mgumbs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:11:48 -0000

I used to do this quite a bit.
This is gonna be a challenge just to explain it! I'm assuming that you have two queries, the second based on the results of the first.

Ok

  1. Create your queries in two seperate groups as you normally do with ||'|'|| separating the fields. Alias the two queries CSV1 and CSV2 or similar
  2. Start creating a default layout with a tabular report. Put your field headings in the title field on the default layout wizard in a pipe-separated format. (e.g Empno|Ename|Job").

3 The CSV fields should be side by side. You then need to move the second CSV field and its related frames so it just overlaps the end of the first CSV field.

4. Ensure that their are no margins at the top and bottom of the page otherwise you will get huge spaces in your output.

5. You have to suppress the title frame and its repeating frame so it prints out on the first page only and then it 'contracts' on every other page.

6. You may have to make your fields so it expands horizontally to cater for extra long fields.

You may have to play with the fields to get your layout perfect.

HTH! Mark