Re: development

From: Keith Jamieson <pdkj02_at_email.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:01:42 +0000

I assume you really mean, how do you build a database application, as opposed
to building a database. Oracle has a number of development tools which
you can us, eg Forms, ReportWriter, or you may use PRO*C or OCI  (
C with Oracle Statements embedded within the code).

Of course, you can use other third party tools, such as Powerbuilder, and connect them to the Oracle Database, via ODBC drivers, or SqlRouters.

Which tool you use, depends on the nature of your application, and the sophistication of your users.

Neil wrote:

I have a question that may seem dumb to those who are familiar with Oracle, but I am wondering how
precisely does one build a database, say for a small to medium sized company, using Oracle? What tools
are used? What programming languange do you use? Is it mostly SQL statements? I am curious about Oracle
but know absolutely nothing about it.