questions on record types in PL/SQL

From: Srinivas Ajjarapu <srinivas_at_synopsys.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:41:02 -0800

I am new to PL/SQL programming. I would appreciate if someone can answer the following 2 questions for me.

  1. Is it allowed to use record types in a implicit cursor?

     Here is what I mean:

     Let us say "dept" is a table:

     DECLARE dept_rec dept%ROWTYPE;
     select * INTO dept_rec from dept where empno = emp_id;

     Is this a valid code in PL/SQL?  If record types are not allowed
     in select, are they allowed in any other implicit cursors?

2. Can the return type of a function be a record type?

Please send your answers to: srinivas_at_synopsys.com

Thanks,
Srinivas Received on Fri Mar 12 1999 - 13:41:02 CST