Re: Help please! ORA-604 Max Cursors Exceeded problem

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 14:51:42 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Wicksey" <Wicksey_at_hotmail.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 9 Mar 1999 08:46:57 GMT, you wrote:

>Thomas,
>
>Thanks very much for your help (again!) I am still curious as to why this
>occurred though, as I don't have more than 20 cursors open at once (at the
>most). Once you declare a cursor in a forms package, does it stay
>allocated for the whole duration of the application? Also Cursor For loops
>implicitly call Open, Fetch, Close so how could they remain open? Is it
>influenced by a SQL Plus session being open at the same time?
>
>Thanks again for your help,
>
>Wicksey

both forms and pl/sql attempt to cache cursors as much as possible to avoid reparsing them at a later date. There is an init.ora parameter close_cached_open_cursors to affect the pl/sql default behaviour (when you close a cursor in pl/sql, it doesn't necessarily close it on the server)

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Mar 09 1999 - 08:51:42 CST