Re: Rollback Segment Trouble

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:48:45 -0600

Mark,

I agree that bad code is most often the cause of rollback problems.

However, programmers are not always free to insert commits into their processes. The business requirements might call for true transaction handling: all updates committed or all updates rolled back. Intermediate commits would prevent a total rollback. So, sometimes, you just have to make the rollback bigger!

Yes, there are other ways to handle this. If your business transaction must span multiple database transactions, you must provide application rollback code and application locking code on top of the database features.