Re: NEWBIE needs help on autonumber

From: Nicholas Couch <nbcouch_at_envisionet.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 02:19:17 GMT

On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 02:54:34 GMT jvinson_at_cyberSPAMLESShighway.net (John Vinson) wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Mar 1999 01:53:24 GMT, pee_bee_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Finally my boss have given me ORacle, so I can get rid of my MickeySoft shit.
>>There is only one problem, how do I implement a autonumber field ??
>
>Take a look at BeforeInsert Triggers. Some things that Access does
>"out of the box" require programming in Oracle...

But look at the flexibility you get in return! You can have a sequence without the trigger, which is useful in multi-table insert situations. You can disable the trigger temporarily if you need to. You can set the sequence to start at any value you like, incrementing likewise, etc etc. Received on Sat Mar 06 1999 - 20:19:17 CST