How to automatically schedule data according to a set of stored rules?

From: Mark Jongerman <jongermanM_at_logica.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 11:13:19 GMT

For our project we have to automatically move and update data between different tables according to a set of rules. These rules should be configurable, and that is why we want to store them in the database as well instead of using hardcoded rules. The scheduling of data will be done by stored procedures, so we will need an algorithm that parses these rules to decide how to schedule the data.

What would be a good datamodel to store these rules? And what would be a good algorithm to parse them? Do we need to write a complete interpreter or are there easier ways to do it?

The rules won't be too complex, we probably will only be using basic logical and mathematical operators like OR, AND, +, -, *, / etc., and they will only be used to move, delete or update fields and tables.

Any help would be appreciated,

Mark Jongerman Received on Fri Mar 05 1999 - 05:13:19 CST