Re: Is it possible to nest transactions?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 22:03:45 -0600

You start an Oracle transaction by issueing an INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE or SELECT FOR UPDATE statement. The transaction ends with a COMMIT or ROLLBACK statement or with any DDL statement. All the statements are comitted or rolled back as an atomic unit. All locks are released at COMMIT or ROLLBACK or DDL.

Within the Oracle transaction, you can set SAVEPOINT's. Later, you can rollback to an identified savepoint. A rollback to a savepoint does not end the transaction. Nor does a rollback to a savepoint release any locks. You can execute more statements before the final transaction-ending COMMIT or ROLLBACK. The engine will not autocommit. Your front-end tool might. The SQL*Plus front-end tool can be set to autocommit or not. If your connection is lost, Oracle auto rolls back whatever transaction was in-flight.