Re: LONG datatypes - what's the trick?

From: Paul A. Horan <paulh_at_nospam.twoplus.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:53:53 -0500

Kevin,
Thanks. Your page had a wealth of info. Is there an alternative to LONGs in Oracle 7.3.x? Considering that we're not storing binary data, just a really really long text string? I have some very verbose users, that don't want their creativity stifled by some technical limitation. <Set sarcasm OFF>

Paul

Kevin Loney wrote in message <0DzD2.48$Sb4.333_at_monger.newsread.com>...
>That's not a valid use of LONG datatypes. You also can't insert as select
>if LONGs are involved. You can use the COPY command to move LONG values
>around, but you're trying to do an update. If the LONG values are small
>enough (<32768 characters in length - but good luck measuring this since
you
>can't do a LENGTH function on the LONG column), use PL/SQL. Create a
PL/SQL
>variable, make it VARCHAR2(32767) and read the value into the variable.
Use