Where did the Permissions Come From?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:09:22 -0500

    A user on a company database, created before I arrived on the site, asked me to check his permissions on a table today. Using the security manager I could see he had no object or system permissions granted explicitly or through a role that would allow him to do anything with the table. However, he is able to insert, update and delete rows through a PowerBuilder application.

    At first I though he might be going in through PowerBuilder as some user with more permisssions. But I checked his PowerBuilder setup and he is logging in as himself.

    Then I thought the permissions might have been granted to "public". The security manager does not specifically show rights granted to public as such.

    So I went into SQL plus and issued every query I could think of against the "all" and "dba" views that have anything to do with roles, grants or permisssions. Rights on the table in question do not show up as having been granted to public. I believe the querries work properly since I can see rights on many other tables granted to public.

    Do any of you have ideas on where to look further?

Thanks,

Van Received on Wed Mar 03 1999 - 19:09:22 CST