Re: SQL*Plus afiedt.buf in Oracle 8.0.5

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:59 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Geoffrey Young <younggs_at_acwilm.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 02 Mar 1999 17:10:43 PST, you wrote:

>I am using Oracle 8.0.5 on Linux and am having problems editing SQL
>commands from SQL*Plus - I keep getting the error message "cannot create
>save file afiedt.buf" when I try to edit unless I am logged in as the
>oracle user (dba group) that I used to install the software. After
>poking around, it seems changing permissions on my directories to 777
>allows afiedt.buf to be created, but it is owned oracle/dba and is
>created as rw-r--r--, so I still can't use it.
>
>I figure this is something small, but can't seem to figure it out...

afiedt.buf (A FIle EDiT BUFfer) is created in the current directory. if you don't have privs on the current working directory, you'll get this. start sqlplus from a directory you can write to...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Mar 02 1999 - 22:00:59 CST