Re: Date format RR limitations. (adding; Please answer, Thomas Kyte!)

From: Roy Brokvam <roy.brokvam_at_conax.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:37:41 +0100

Mike Burden wrote in message <36DBC595.8B97822C_at_capgemini.co.uk>...
>Why did Oracle introduce the RR format. It's funny how assumptions can
>make you fall flat on your face. I assumed I new how the RR format
>conversion worked until I RTFM.
>
>Assuming my understanding of the RR conversion is correct, was it
>introduced by Oracle just to comply with Y2K. I don't see why it needed
>to. There is some discussion about handling two digit years in the Y2K
>white paper, but surley the RR format is against the princple of Y2K
>compliance because it only moves the problem on 50 years.
>
>I know there is an argument that we should all enter four digit year
>codes but why? My user says to me, 'I have a screen with 10 dates. As
>the dates I enter are only ever within 5 years why oh why can't it
>default sensible. Computers were designed to make life easier:-)'. I
>say, 'No problem the RR format (or even better RRRR) is just the
>ticket.' However now I've read the manual I beleive RR should not to be
>used because it will introduce the same problem in the year 2050. Even
>though I won't be around by then my principles say don't use it.
>
>This is how I assumed the RR format worked.

Help!

I have assumed the same! As I interpret the SQL Language Reference Manual, you are quite right!

For any current year between 1950 and 2049, any 2-digit year entered through RR will translate to a year between 1950 and 2049.

If I repeat the above sentence, subtract 50 years and use YY instead of RR, it reads:

For any current year between 1900 and 1999, any 2-digit year entered through YY will translate to a year between 1900 and 1999.

Which is why YY is bad!

[snip]

>Please say I've read the manual incorreclty or there is something wrong
>with my logic. I would gladley suffer a red face to be corrected.

I dare say you are correct, but I too will be most happy to have misunderstood.

Regards,
Roy Brokvam
roy.brokvam_at_conax.com Received on Tue Mar 02 1999 - 14:37:41 CST