Re: Weird problem with Oracle 8 ODBC driver ?

From: Jun Versola <versola_at_lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 14:03:01 -0500

We get the same message (rather, lack of any Oracle ODBC driver setup dialog) when one attempts to Add a DSN using Oracle's ODBC 8.00.5x driver in the 'User DSN' tab of the ODBC(32) applet.

Additionally, when we attempt to Add a DSN using MS ODBC for Oracle 2.573.292700, we get the message below.

Dialog box contents follow:
dialogTitle: Microsoft ODBC for Oracle text: The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed.

We have installed the Oracle 8 client along with MS MDAC 2.0, and MS DCOM for 95 without trouble on approximately 30 laptops. However we are seeing the problems mentioned above appear in 5 installations so far. This is troublesome since we have another dozen laptops
to install the client etc and there seems no available fix.

Searching through support.microsoft.com yielded article # Q192886 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q192/8/86.asp This article discusses the problem for DEC's Alpha platform, not Intel's )-:

There seems to be no solution...(?)