Re: Getting that first job

From: <llee_at_nwrain.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 18:34:03 -0800

Andrew,
As a junior developer in Oracle, I have another route you might think of taking which is a test/QA position which is how I did it. That way, I learned the product and business rules, and was able to network within my company to the appropriate people who could get me into development. Luckily, my company believes in taking smart people with initiative and giving them training. I did have a c.s. degree which was a requirement but hadn't done anything with databases. So within 6 months of taking the test position, I was moved into development, receiving my on the job training in Forms and Reports. Money in test is not very good generally, but within a year I was making over 40% more so it's worth it in the end. Now I've got my developer's experience of almost 2 years which is the point at which you can start thinking about moving up the ladder into contracting, more money, etc.

Linda