Triggers and sequences

From: Peter Almond <almond_at_rapid.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:48:43 -0000

I'm considering using a sequence to generate primary keys in a database, and generating them in a "BEFORE INSERT" trigger. I have tried this out and it works.

It seems like a good idea, because it means the logic is in one place, and the client application generating rows doesn't have to worry about how to get the next sequence number.

BUT ! How does the client program GET the sequence number after adding a row ?. If child records are being added at the same time, I have to know the primary key of the parent so I can set the foreign key values.

I am using various methods of accessing the db, including Pro*C , OO4O (VB) and PL/SQL.

I'm looking for a good general approach to this. What do others do ?

Any help much appreciated,

Pete Received on Mon Mar 01 1999 - 15:48:43 CST