Re: Oracle7 Datafile creation problem - help!

From: <rspeaker_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:10:58 GMT

It sounds like you have reached/exceeded the MAXDATAFILES parameter that was specified during the initial DB build. Check your DB_FILES parameter in your init<SID>.ora file and compare it to select count(*) from dba_data_files. If this is the case, I have a white paper from Oracle explaining how to correct this. Basically, you need to:

alter database backup controlfile to trace; rename the trace file (ie recreate.sql) edit recreate.sql and delete trace header info, and increase maxdatafiles shutdown the database NORMAL or IMMEDIATE (not ABORT) and take a full backup remove existing control files
from sqldba, connect internal, then run @recreate alter database open noresetlogs;

You should receive a "Statement processed" message, indicating your database is back up and running with the higher maxdatafiles limit. You should now shut down and take another full backup.