LONG field storage details?

From: Douglas Chamberlin <dchamberlin_at_dlawton.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:23:15 GMT

I am designing a new database using Oracle 7.3.4 and am trying to decide if LONG fields are apropriate vs. VARCHAR2 fields. my specific question relates to storage of LONG data. Is there a minimum storage amount which is taken up by a LONG field when the record has a small amount of data in the LONG field? For example, SQL Server always allocates 2Kb in the data file for a LONG field equivalent even if the field only contains one byte of data. What's the situation with Oracle? Received on Sun Feb 28 1999 - 16:23:15 CST