Re: Oracle8 vs SQl7

From: Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:02:53 GMT

"Shagun Tyagi" <tyagi_at_Baileynm.com> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

>Hi,
>We are debating to change our current system configuration ( digital unix
>4.0 / oracle 8.0 )
>to a windows nt based system on SQL 7.0 in a 24x7 shop. Can somebody tell me
>where I could find articles / reviews about performance and stability issues
>of SQL 7.0. A comparison between oracle8 and sql7 would be just perfect. Is
>anyone aware of such articles , reviews, web sites or any other source
>that'll help us make this decision?

General knowledge of NT's non-stability compared to Digital Unix should be enough, especially when reliability is fundamental and not optional.

NT is quite stabile on some machines and very unstable on others and no-one can tell exactly why and there's no way to be sure beforehand. (NT's Hardware Compabilility List doesn't help at all.)

Same randomness either occurs or not after every service pack and major modifications.

Even Oracle 8 on Linux would be better alternative. It has advantage of being Unix-lookalike -> less trouble while changing platform.

Tuomas
--

hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684   \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.