HELP:inserting value of 1 million

From: Mark van den Nieuwenhuizen <nieuwen1_at_cad-usr.ce.philips.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:25:25 +0100

Hello all,

Oracle has confirmed that inserting a value of exactly 1.000.0000 from a double host variable from a Pro*C program in a 7.3.2 database on AIX resulted in showing :0000 in a tool like SqlPlus. The actual value stored in the database is huge, exceeding the 1 million value by far. Funny enough some database browsers show the correct value but Oracle itself does not. Updating such a column -with a value of 1 million- gives a numeric overflow...

Apparently upgrading to 7.3.4. should solve the problem but unfortunately the problem persists. Since the Pro*C program is actually a DLL it is not clear if it is a server or a client related problem. I have seen some pointers indicating that certain Oracle client SQLNet DLL's could be involved but this was far from clear.

Oracle support cannot help me, perhaps one of you can give me some hints. A last resort could be to force an insert of a value which just exceeds the dreaded 1 million but that is really a last resort.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark van den Nieuwenhuizen Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 02:25:25 CST