Re: Oracle OCP DBA track - worth it?

From: Carolyn Gillis <gillis_at_nospam.sgis.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:24:03 -0600

If you've got experience as an Oracle DBA, upgrading to Oracle 8 is a good thing. If you haven't, you're in trouble, depending on where you want to work. But it's a catch-22 world out there. No experience, no job. No job, no experience. How does anyone break into the database administration game?

I retrained, (I was a COBOL programmer long ago, and a smal corporation secretary-treasurer for the last two decades), as an Oracle 7.3 DBA. No-one in my class who certified got a DBA job. Some who quit in the middle, after passing the SQL certification test, and got training in VB or C++ got jobs right away as programmers/developers.

I am a certified Oracle DBA, but am working as a programmer/trainer for a shop that is doing a DB2 project. they took a chance on me, but I'm spinning my wheels.