Re: Pl/SQL: How do you Randomize?

From: Christopher Beck <clbeck_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:35:20 GMT

On 24 Feb 99 16:23:26 GMT, dolans_at_stripe.Colorado.EDU (Sean Dolan) wrote:

> I am writiing a PL/SQL procedure and need to create an eight letter word that is just a random set of letters - i.e. creating a users "first" password for the system. I could do a for loop and use the CHR() function to turn it inot a letter and then concatenate the letters but a for loop provides no randomness - is there a Rnd function in PL/SQL? Or is there a better way to make an eight letter random word?

Tom Kyte has written a random PL/SQL package. He has posted it here a few times. You can see one of the posting here...

http://www.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=322168504

hope this helps.

chris.

--
Christopher Beck
Oracle Corporation

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Feb 24 1999 - 11:35:20 CST