Re: SQL*Load Questions

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 99 20:11:20 GMT

In article <7ahodd$qhd$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com> chrisnelson_at_eaton.com writes:

>Could someone steer me to the right place for learning more about SQL*Load so
>that I can write my own .CTL files and load tables of my choosing, please.

>I have used SQL*Load to populate Interface tables (mtl_system_items_interface,
>bom_op_routings_interface, etc.), so I have some experience here. Now I would
>like to load data tables directly, and that means I have to handle sequences
>that I didn't have to worry about in the Interface tables.

Looks like you are uploading to Oracle Financials/Manufacturing. I sincerely hope that you have the TRMs because this is not supported by Oracle Customer Support and if you foobar, you are on your own. Stick to the interface tables where possible (except of course in modules where Oracle does not give you open interfaces).

>Alternatively, I have used Excel macros to populate data tables, but without
>any error trapping ability in the macros there is no way to easily handle
>typos and incorrect entries in the spreadsheet data. Does anyone have a way
>for Oracle to feed 'status' messages back to the Excel macro to trap these
>types of errors?

Oracle consulting has a set of Excel macros that interface with the Financials Smart Client and basically pump the data through the data entry forms. The advantage of this is that all your data verification, business rules, logic constraints are enforced by the application. Try this instead.

Philip

 Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA   e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60-5-545-1011 Fax:+60-5-547-3932    Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
---
 þ 10054.53 þ Smith & Wesson, the ORIGINAL point-and-click interface! Received on Fri Feb 19 1999 - 14:11:20 CST