Re: character set

From: Karsten Weikop <karsten_at_weikop.dk>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:23:48 +0100

Try using this:

When a database is created, then you have to set up the correct character set. If not specified, then it will be impossible to enter 8-bit characters. It will only be possible to enter 7-bit characters and not danish characters.

First find out which values are the current for the database. Use SQL*Plus, connected as user sys:
set array 1
select *from sys.props$;
select *from sys.props$ where NAME = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

To find the legal values, use this statement: select distinct value from v$nls_valid_values where parameter = 'CHARACTERSET'; Then update the data dictionary:
update props$ set VALUE$ = 'WE8ISO8859P1' where NAME = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

Then shut down and restart the database. The vary carefully to enter correct information, because wrong information can corrupt the database (make it impossible to restart).

Best regards

Karsten Weikop
Make IT, Denmark, Europe