UTL_FILE and directory listing

From: Rob Edgar <robedgar_at_mersey.com.hk>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:46:53 +0800

We have written a PL/SQL routine that periodically loads files from a directory into the database.

This is fine works well and were happy, BUT it only works if we already know the file names and hard code them into the PL/SQL routine.

Does anyone know how we can get a directory listing of all the files in the the directory so that we can load all of them. This is ment to be an automated routine that runs as a job so we dont want any human intervention anywhere.

At the moment the only thing I can think of is to created an external proc to get the listing but this seem like over kill, the other method which sound equally stupid is to use the http package and call a web server to get the web server to check the directory on the datbase server and return back the listing.

But it seems like there "should" be a simpler way to do this

Can anyone help?

Rob Received on Wed Feb 17 1999 - 21:46:53 CST