Help NLS and extended character sets in Oracle

From: <stevelatif_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:04:32 GMT

We have an intersting problem with extended character sets: We're running Oracle 8.0.5 on a Solaris 7 box.

When the solaris box was set up it was (wrongly ) configured to use only ASCII 7 text. Oracle was then installed and configured to use the ISO-LATIN 8 bit character set. The mistakle was found as the operating system would do a 7char conversion on any content in the database.

The proiblem with the OS was fixed, and it to uses the ISO-latin 1 character set.
When you connect to Oracle from an NT box with the Oracle client you can put extended characters into the database and select them out.

The probelem is we have a large number of Perl scripts using DBI::DBD to access Oracle, and their output is getting converted to ASCII.

We have a similar Solaris box running Oracle and they work fine with extended characters there.

Is there a problem with the database being originally installed on an OS with with a 7 character set - will I need to reinstall Oracle ? Are there some configuration variables I can tweak to fix this ? thanks
Steve