Re: Authentication with unix password file.

From: Daniel <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:50:10 -0000

Hmm thats true... If a user logs onto a pc as fred and there is a database user called fred identified externaly then with;

remote_os_authentication setup then they could logon to the database.

thats the case with win3.x and 95 anyway nt is a bit different as you have to either
authenticate to nt locally or via the domain...

However this is still not very secure but if its just sigle signon you want then this will work,

I agree with my colleage from the US though...

--
Daniel
Oracle UK

Rick Wessman wrote in message ...
>This option is very dangerous. If it is used, then make sure that your
users
>are trustworthy. Otherwise, they could connect as anyone using this method.
>
> Rick
>
>"Daniel" <nospam_at_nospam.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If its just single signon you require then you could try using
>> remote_os_authentication
>> ie; if your user is using win3.x, win95 or win nt clients then you can
pass
>> the local username and authenticate against an ops$ external database
user

>> Daniel...
>>
>> --
>> Daniel
>> Oracle UK
>>
>> Rick Wessman wrote in message ...

>> >It's not possible to authenticate user passwords against the Unix
password
>> >file either local or NIS.

>> >RADIUS authentication will be available in Oracle8i.

>> >I believe that the Oracle Application Server supports O/S user
>> authentication
>> >but since the database does not, there's no way to do it.
>> >

> Rick
> Rick Wessman
> Security and Directory
Technologies