Development options

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:05:35 GMT

  I work in a shop with a lot of legacy FORTRAN programs. I don't apologize for decisions made 30 years ago. The question now is how to migrate, as some of our old utilities are being obsoleted. Please note that while we have professional DBA and programmer/analysts to handle
"flagship" applications and maintain the database, we
endusers have to do small run-of-the-mill queries/programs ourselves. We get a limited amount of debugging help from the "pro's", but they have a limited amount of time to answer our questions. Some people here are using VB ADO/RDO talking to Oracle. I prefer PL/SQL. The code is simpler. I can actually do stuff without spending half a day setting up properties all over the place.
  The "benefits" of "abject ornamentation" are dubious for my specific needs. I work in a scientific environment where I need to crunch through reams of data, and produce an analysis. I do strictly read-only queries, and don't need INSERTS/UPDATES or cute forms. The pro's are paid to maintain the database.
  Since so much of our old stuff is FORTRAN, the quick-n- dirty option of Pro FORTRAN ports looks appealing. There doesn't seem to be any documentation listed for it. Is this a hint that Oracle is dropping Pro FORTRAN support?   Does ProcedureBuilder allow PL/SQL apps to be deployed without requiring individual user PC's to be loaded with additional software beyond the standard Oracle client? Also, where is the documentation. Our system people have Developer/2000 doc's, but they seem to be strictly for
"Graphics 2.5", which isn't the tool for my needs.

Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com> procmail spamfilter http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm Received on Thu Feb 11 1999 - 00:05:35 CST