Re: DBA personality traits

From: Satar <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:29:54 GMT

In article <19990209234809.03801.00000779_at_ng-fr1.aol.com>,   jakatz9352_at_aol.com (Jakatz9352) wrote:
> Hey Diane,
>
> First of all- very sharp observance. I have felt that the majority of DBA's I
> have worked with are not only insular
> and secretive - but bent on one-upsmanship in the workplace. Also, they are
> idiosyncratic. I am a DBA trying to absorb the knowledge without the
attitude.
> -Jason

No way to fight it Jason. Once you become a skilled DBA, the attitude falls in place. Don't try to fight it...Let the Darkside rule your soul. ;)

On a serious note, those DBA's who are very secretive, are those who are insecure about thier abilities. I worked on different levels as an Oracle DBA (from consultant to permanent employee) and was/am involved in many projects. My experiences of a good DBA is one who works as a team player with others (DBA's, Developers, end Users), yet is able to perform efficently as an individual. The DBA must keep himself/herself up to date with the latest technology of Oracle and must be informed of behavior characteristics (bugs) of Oracle on Different platforms. It is a hard job, and you do have to love what you're doing. Technology is changing in such a rapid pace, that if you get lazy, you're worthless.

Regards,
Satar
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
"Opinions are the result of the voices in my head only, and do not reflect my employer or Oracle Corporation."

Curiousity might have killed the cat, but made the DBA a more skilled resource.